Tips for making nut butters
- Choose fresh, unsalted plain roasted or unroasted nuts.
- Store nuts in the freezer because the natural oils in the nuts can go rancid over time.
- Nuts that make great butters: Macadamia, Peanut, Cashew, Almond, Hazelnut, Pecan and Walnut.
- The nut butter will firm up in the refrigerator.
- Add flavor with honey, maple syrup, salt, vanilla, cocoa, cinnamon or cardamom.
- Add a little nut oil for a creamier consistency; some nuts have a higher oil content so they will naturally make a creamier nut butter, like Macadamia.
- Roast nuts for a deeper flavor and creamier texture; roasting releases oils. Bake on a sheet at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently. This is really important with walnuts because walnut butter can be a little bitter due to the flavor of the skins but the walnuts' flavor will mellow with roasting.
WALNUT BUTTER- CLEAN EATING
Adapted from simplebites
Makes 1 1/2 cups
1 1/2 cups walnuts, roasted
generous pinch of salt
Roast the walnuts on a baking sheet at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add seasonings if desired and pulse until it reaches the desired consistency.
This Walnut Butter works great in my Cranberry Chia Energy Bars recipe.