Here is a great little recipe for some homemade granola bars...way better than the store-bought kind and perfect for a summer treat now the kids are out of school.
- CHEWY GRANOLA BARS
- Makes 12 bars
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups quick-cooking/instant oats, such as Bob's Red Mill, Gluten Free, Quick Cooking Oats (do not use regular old-fashioned oats)
- 1-3/4 cups Rice Krispies
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
Optional Add ins:
- sliced almonds
- dried fruit
- Spray 9 x 9-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray
- In a pot, combine the butter, brown sugar and honey. Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Lower the heat and simmer until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the vanilla and salt.Add the oats and rice cereal to the pan and fold with a rubber spatula until well combined. Sprinkle in a few chocolate chips (they may melt a little).
Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and press down lightly with a rubber spatula to even out.
Sprinkle the chocolate chips over top, adding more or less to suit your taste, and press down firmly with the spatula so the chips stick.The mixture should be tightly compacted in the pan. Place the pan in the refrigerator for 1 hour to cool.
Using a sharp knife, cut into bars. Store the bars in an airtight container/baggie in the refrigerator.
Note: If you are substituting dried fruit for the chocolate chips, mix it in along with the other ingredients as opposed to sprinkling over top.