The summer heat is here...and I say bring it on, I am still melting from winter! One of my favorite things about summertime is the wonderland of ripe fruits and fresh vegetables. Yesterday, I loaded up with blueberries, peaches, dark red cherries, and my favorite...strawberries.
This is an easy, elegant and delicious dessert that you can make with little effort.
BALSAMIC-MACERATED STRAWBERRIES AND BASIL
Adapted from Fine Cooking
2 lb. fresh strawberries, rinsed, hulled, and sliced (about 4 cups)
1 Tbs. granulated sugar
2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
8 to 10 medium fresh basil leaves
optional: serve over vanilla ice cream
NOTE: I have found the easiest way to hull the strawberries is to insert a straw at the bottom if the strawberry and push all the way through so the stem pops out.
In a large bowl, gently toss the strawberries with the sugar and vinegar.
Portion the strawberries and their juices among small dessert bowls and scatter with the basil to garnish, or choose one of the serving suggestions below.
I prefer mine plain as well as over vanilla ice cream.
- Serve the strawberries over grilled or toasted pound cake. Garnish with a dollop of crème fraîche or whipped cream.
- Serve over vanilla ice cream and garnish with basil.
- Put the berries on split biscuits for shortcakes; top with whipped cream and scatter with the basil.
- Layer the berries with ice cream or yogurt for a parfait. Garnish with the basil.
- Spoon the strawberries over a poached or roasted peach half.
- Use the berries as a filling for crêpes or a topping for waffles.